Sunday, November 18, 2012

Old Fashion Manners


The world round there is a desire for the return of old fashion manners to our everyday lives. Bad manners have crept into our daily behavior as our lives have become increasingly digital, and as a result, impersonal. The fast-paced, digital world, we currently live in has caused us to lose sight of the formalities of personal interaction, much cherished in simpler times. Basic etiquette has been eroded even in situations that call for us to make a good first impression or to be on our best behavior. A recent study conducted by an Irish dating website found that 59 percent of Irish daters consider bad manners a turn off on a first date, meaning that men and women aren’t even trying to make that good first impression when it counts. We’ve forgotten how to try to put our best selves forward and how to show basic respect to those we interact with. We must not forget our roots. The importance is not so much in the action itself, but rather the respect the action signifies.
            Gone are the days when you would see a man stand up when a woman comes to and leaves a table. Last night while dinning with friends, a woman left the table. Not thinking, I stood up as I was raised to do. My friends stared at me with confusion wondering why I was leaving when the meal had just begun. It was then that I realized these old fashion manners, which were so important in years past, had been forgotten as our society has become less personal. And more importantly, the respect behind these actions has been forgotten as well.
            Whether it be standing when a woman leaves a table or holding the door open, these actions are about acknowledging another person’s presence as they come and go from our lives. In this modern society, we are satisfied with a text message or e-mail. We have slowly progressed—or rather regressed—in a world that has become increasingly digital and impersonal.
Prior to the infestation of these digital tools—from computers to cellphones—we had to make an effort to keep in touch with friends. Get-togethers and letters—tasks that required physical effort and a certain adherence to social constructs—were required to keep personal relationships thriving. With the advent of the telephone, maintaining relationships became easier, albeit less personal. Now even talking on the phone is considered by some to be too much of a hassle. Text messaging, e-mail, Facebook, and now even Twitter have become the new, everyday forms of communication. With each new communication technology, the amount of human contact we engage in, as well as the effort we put in to such contact, has dwindled and with it the ability to acknowledge and respect another’s presence in our lives.
            We have even come to the point when these old fashion manners are looked down upon, despite the fact that, at their core, they are just a show of respect. When asked why I had stood up, I answered because a lady had left the table. I was greeted with a sea of bewildered and judgmental looks. My action was perceived as outdated and out of place in this casual gathering.
Despite this judgment from my peers, I believe it was the right and necessary thing to do and I will continue to do it as a sign of respect. Yes, it was how I was raised. These behaviors are ingrained, and ones of which I am proud. These old fashioned manners have been around for centuries, but only recently have we started to judge them as outdated. There is a reason they endured through time and across cultures. Perhaps we should take a moment and ponder this fact, and ask ourselves if we are right in letting technology rewrite the rules of engagement.

8 comments:

  1. This is a great post on a far too neglected topic. I think it is a shame that people judge these old-fashioned manners and it has really changed today's culture. We are so disconnected from each other to the point where most people feel calling someone instead of texting is too big of a deal. People think they are more connected because they are always in constant communication because they are always texting, facebooking, and emailing people but these new technologies have taken away a certain depth of communication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its great to see someone in our generation still talking and thinking about manners. I remember being dragged to Cotillion in 8th and 9th grade to learn manners and dancing and etiquette and being annoyed at having to wear long white gloves and a pouffy dress and dance with boys. Yet now I am thankful for the knowledge I gained about everything from dancing to which fork to use when eating salad. I am not in a Sorority, but one good think I have noticed about the greek system is the old fashion sense of manners it instills. When a boy asks me to an invite they pick me up, pay for my food and open the door to the car and restaraunt. Afterwards they send flowers as a gift an write a note, similarly, although I am not in a sorority, i have one of my friends deliver a gift for them and a hand written note. Last year when my ex-boyfriend and I were dating he sent flowers and a handwritten note to my mother after she took us to dinner during Parents Weekend. Its great to see that such values still exsist and I hope that new technology will not diminish them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Everyday I feel like people have completely forgotten what manners actually are. I think it is partly due to technology and the fact that parents just aren't teaching manners to their children anymore. Working in my families restaurant, I must interact with others on a daily basis. It is amazing to me to see the way people interact with others. Many of my older customers would talk with me for hours if they could, they are usually very polite and want to engage with others. Younger customers, particularly teens and young adults are so awkward and rude! Maybe some of it has to do with being at an awkward age and wanting to impress their friends, but I think it mostly boils down to having no manners. Just the way they speak to people or avoid eye contact or lacking the ability to say thank you is insane to me. My parents engrained the importance of manners in my siblings and I, so I find it really difficult to understand how people have such disregard for other people. I think it takes more effort to be rude than it does to be friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree with you that in this fast-paced, digital world, people have forgotten their manners. I've noticed two things that people are not used to anymore: one, talking to other people face-to-face, and two, holding the door open for someone else.

    Last week, I was eating lunch with a friend after not seeing her for a while. It was a casual lunch, and I was going on about my day when I saw her check her phone for her Facebook notifications. I was quite peeved, since here I was, a living, breathing human being and she couldn't even hold a thirty minute conversation without resorting back to phone to check on updates on people she's not even really friends with. I have a Facebook too, but it is not the primary means of which I have conversations with friends. I prefer eating lunch, having coffee and talking face-to-face.

    Also, I've always been taught to say "thank you" when people hold the door for me, and I will also automatically hold the door for someone else. It always amazes me when people slam the door in my face, or if I have just held the door open for someone else, and he or she in return has slammed the door in someone else's face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that one of the reasons chivalry has started to disappear is because we are moving towards a more egalitarian society. Women may not care if men open their doors or stand up when they stand up anymore, so the behavior is no longer reinforced and eventually begins to fade out. In elementary school we had no manners training or finishing school classes, but they did teach us to all hold the doors for each other, regardless of gender. I appreciate chivalry and would hate to see it go away, but in this time and age, I do not think it is still mandated by society. The goals of women are different, with many women wanting to be more powerful. Men may no longer find it necessary to treat them as such delicate beings. In a romantic relationship, these sorts of actions are definitely appreciated, but in a formal setting, such as a business meeting, it may be inappropriate or simply just no longer enacted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its great to see that you were raised well and that you have manners. It is something that I think everyone should learn and people these days do not realize how important a small "thank you" or what little gestures like holding the door mean. I definitely appreciate when guys walk me home or stand up at the table when I do.

    That being said, I agree with Caroline. I feel that in our society, it is not mandated. I think it is because some people view it as guys feeling they need to take care of women. In a time where women are wanting to be more powerful, chivalry is not important and can even be misinterpreted. I think that there should definitely be a happy medium on this, as I do not see men being chivalrous as something standing in my way of being a strong woman but I could see how it could be interpreted that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think above all, I'm always shocked to see the inappreciative response to kind gestures. Too many people (both men and women) walk by an individual holding a door open without uttering a simple "thank you." Not only are these simple manners disappearing in modern society, but they are note even acknowledged, as you alluded to many times in this post.
    Along with the other comments on this blog, I find myself always encouraging face-to-face conversation, because communicating (and especially addressing conflicts) over technology is now commonplace. People accredit this reluctance of face-to-face conversation as not enjoying "confrontational." Since when is there a correlation to preferring text messages or Facebook to not being confrontational?
    Regardless of wanting more equality in society and advocating for women's rights, I think a kind gesture by a man (or woman for that matter) should not be seen as an issue of men vs. woman, but rather appreciated and accepted in its good nature. When I meet someone who is attentive to manners, it automatically expedites my process of building respect for that person.

    Chivalry is not dead - yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do think social media and other advancements in technology have lead to the decline of manners, but I believe there are many other factors involved including some of those already mentioned. Some have just become culturally accepted as abnormal or weird now, in some ways I think it has to do with the fast paced society we live in. This is more noticeable in comparing interaction I’ve had with others in slower-paced environments or countries. I’m used to giving nice firm handshakes, but some people really think it’s weird and I can see why some might think it’s unnecessary when they are in a rush and think a simple goodbye will suffice. Even in a classroom setting when a professor or other person speaks has become an acceptable time to engage in conversation, when decades ago it would was have been completely disrespectful. Some of these manners at one point were part of the norm and slowly the move into the abnormal category.

    ReplyDelete